How to Set Clear and Actionable Goals for Your Salon Business
Over the years, the hair and beauty industry has grown tremendously. The industry boasts a value of $42.76 billion only in the US. So, if you’re planning on opening a salon business, now is a great time.
The only difference between success and failure in any business is goals. Having clear and actionable business goals holds you accountable for bigger picture- professional growth.
But here’s the problem.
Setting goals is not as easy as most people realize. When going about the nitty-gritty of daily life, it can be hard to put the finger on what you want from the salon business. Remember, goals are different.
Fortunately, you can find enough help from this article. Indulge!
Developing as an individual and a business significantly depends on how you handle key business functions. What processes are you using to deal with your customers and employees?
You need to digitize your salon process. Ideally, clinic software will help manage your work effectively from time, bookings, payment, communication and keeping records. So, you’ll be able to distribute work conveniently to each staff member and not miss any appointments.
The practice management software will also help you better communicate with your clients and get feedback directly to enhance customer experience. Because photos are essential to marketing your business, the software should provide online security to clients’ photos and other data. This way, other people cannot steal and use them without permission.
Aside from learning and incorporating your cosmetic clinic software, you should also invest in learning new skills either individually or as a team. Above all, building skill, confidence and esteem in your services go a long way in reaching the end prize.
In this hair and beauty industry, the trends keep changing within the blink of an eye. An ambitious salon business encourages the team to keep up with the trends. Some career goals include a short refresher course to learn new makeup, braiding, hair treatment and styling techniques.
Why is good customer service important in career goals? While keeping up with the craft is essential, your salon business must handle all types of clients. This means you should know how to attend to all hair and skin types. So, you won’t just be a better professional but also expand your clientele and enhance your salon’s reputation.
A healthy financial lifestyle is crucial for the success of your salon business. You need a steady plan to pay all your bills, debt, rent, supplies, refresher courses and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Examples of financial goals are;
- Retirement package: Plan a retirement package for your employees to encourage them to work for something better in the end.
- Insurance plan: Working for prolonged hours on many busy days can affect your feet and back. So, investing in an employee insurance plan is ideal, especially for expenses like massage, physiotherapy and chiropractic. Still, insure your business against disasters like fire and theft.
- Emergency fund: With what COVID-19 did, it’s crucial to stay prepared for any crisis. An emergency fund for your salon business allows you to have a fallback plan not to feel the hard bite of the crisis.
- Savings plan: This includes funds for expanding your business. Saving for a new venture in this industry is crucial to allow smooth transitions for different trends. You don’t want to dig into other specified funds to expand your business.
- Monthly budget: You need a budget for purchasing supplies for your salon. Also, you can include funds for attending conferences and events for hair and beauty.
As a business owner, what are your long-term business goals? As a startup salon business, you’re probably looking forward to styling the ‘who’s’ in society. Still, you can get into the fashion industry using the skills and knowledge of the beauty industry.
But how do you do that?
- Build awareness and learn social media marketing
- Create reasonable work schedules and work within the set time
- Enroll on beauty shows
- Learn how to manage and lead teams and projects
How you care for yourself determines how you’ll care for your salon business. Keeping fit and eating healthy is an essential aspect of your personal goal. This way, you’ll be able to stand for long hours helping employees whenever there’s a lot to do.
Better still, having a healthy lifestyle allows you to be happy and productive at your job.
This is how to set and meet your personal goals that affect your passion for business;
- Exercise more. You can choose to walk or cycle to work. Still, you can enroll in a gym when you are off work for some days in the week.
- If you can’t quit taking alcohol, manage the consumption by probably only drinking a few glasses during your off days. But you must quit or stay away from smoking.
- Carry or make for everyone to eat healthy snacks or meals every day.
- Improve your mental health by learning a new hobby like swimming, reading a book or even cooking different dishes.
- Establish a healthy work-life balance for everyone and avoid overworking. This way, there’ll be no fatigue to prevent working the next day. Plus, introduce time off for employees to spend time with loved ones and relax.
A salon business can be quite demanding that’s easy to overwork. Ensure you care for your staff and allow them to meet their personal goals to invest in themselves and focus on life outside work.
Congratulations on setting the above clear and actionable goals for your salon business. Soon, you’ll reflect on how you handled this phase of your business growth and be proud of yourself.
Also, don’t hesitate to adjust your goals if you don’t feel ready to proceed as planned. Better still, you can press the restart button when you feel something isn’t adding up as expected. Most importantly, include your team in your business goals at every step.
Remember to remain positive because building a successful business takes time and effort.