How to Make Your Own Custom Cakes
We all love a good cake. From chocolate, to banana, to vanilla, we love them all. But how about an even more personalized cake? With this guide on how to make your own custom cakes, you can create a one-of-a-kind treat for any occasion!
How to make your own custom cakes
Here are 10 tips on how to make your own custom cakes:
1) Choose the flavor of icing – Vanilla or chocolate are classic and delicious choices. However, there are plenty other flavors that might taste better with the specific kind of cake you’re baking (e.g., lemon icing goes great with lemon).
2) Create a design for your cake. Choose the one you like best! There are plenty of photo editing apps that can help you create your design, but if you’re not a Photoshop expert, then stick to free online software such as Canva and PicMonic.
3) Draw it on paper before you bake it (or make a photo collage). If you love drawing/art and have some artistic ability, then definitely try drawing your design first. But if not, just paint or draw something on paper first. This will help you make sure you’ve got the proportions right before you bake it.
4) Bake according to the directions on your favorite cake recipe (see the link below for this). For example, if your recipe calls for four eggs, then crack those babies open and mix them into the batter. The flavor you choose is up to you, but most people choose a vanilla or chocolate cake because they’re delicious!
5) Cool your cake before frosting it. This is important because otherwise, your frosting will melt into a puddle of goo!
6) Buy some icing (instead of making it yourself). Find one that’s smooth and easy to work with. And there’s no right way to do icing…it’s totally up to you! But you can use a spaghetti squash or ziploc bag to pipe a custom design onto your cake. Or, if you’re feeling extra creative, try using plain frosting or colored frosting.
7) Try out some homemade ice cream cones (that’s what my dad used in his ice cream shops – it adds one more step and is just so fun!). You can get the base of chocolate ice cream at the store and then use a lot of mint chips for sprinkles for garnish. Basically, it’s like making candy land in your mouth.
8) Spice it up with something special, like sprinkles or other tiny colored pieces. It’s your choice!
9) Color the icing (if you’re not doing frosting). This is optional, but some people like to add different colors of icing to their cake.
10) Make a cake stand out (or one that can double as a serving dish). You can make one out of cardboard if you want and then use it to hold your dessert. Or try these DIY easy stand-up trifles if you want an even easier way to serve up the perfect piece of cake. For more important tips, click here twelvecupcakes.com/customisation/.
There are many other options for making your own custom cakes, like cupcakes and toppers. Take a look through the links below to see what you can imagine…these tips on how to make your own custom cakes really just get you started. Have fun!