How to Effectively Get Rid of Mold Mites: A Definitive Guide

Homeowners already have enough worries dealing with mold infestation. However, mold mites can present a more serious problem if not addressed right away. Additionally, if indoor air quality is a concern, explore VOC and Indoor Air Quality Testing. Detect and address harmful Volatile Organic Compounds emitted by common sources, ensuring a healthier living or working space.

There’s no need to think twice about trying to remove mold from your home. This is because even a small amount of mold can attract microscopic pests like mold mites. While they are not as aggressive as bed bugs, mold mites can cause irritation due to their long hairs.

What are Mold Mites?

Mold mites, which are tiny arthropods that eat mold, are also referred to as microscopic arthropods. These little, seemingly harmless pests are not easily noticed since their average size is only around 0.03 millimeters. However, it’s possible to spot them by zooming into these bugs with the use of a high resolution camera. As for their physical appearance, mold mites are typically hairy, oval-shaped, wingless, and can vary in color from white to tan.

Where Do Mold Mites Grow?

Mold mites thrive in humid and warm climates. This is one reason they are often confused with other types of mites such as flour and dust mites. However, the main difference is that, in the case of mold mites, mold and high-fat foods are their main sources of sustenance.

Often, mold mites are mistaken by people as actual molds. They leave small marks on the bodies that most victims think are mold spores. The mold mite bite is caused in part by the sensory hairs of the bug which can be detached from its body. These hairs can become airborne, and aggravate allergies and respiratory problems among those suffering from these conditions.

Mold mites can easily move from one area to the next and can live from as short as 9 days to as long as 30. The normal female mold mite, meanwhile, can produce up to 800 eggs during her lifetime.

Can Mold Mites Get Into Your Hair?

The possibility is there, although it is unlikely. If mold mites do get to your hair, they will not survive, unlike lice, said a water damage restoration Colorado Springs expert. This is because mold mites prefer to stay in areas where mold is present as this is their food source.

Additionally, unlike mosquitoes and other parasitic insects, mold mites don’t really find humans a likely source of food. They don’t live on blood or dead skin cells, so there’s no need to worry that mold mites will stick around your hair and stay there.

How to Get Rid of Mold Mites

While these microscopic pests don’t exactly pose any long-term or serious health risks to people, they can be a problem for those suffering from allergies or asthma. When this is the case, you’ll have to consider removing mold mites from your home. This can be done by following the steps listed below.

1. Locate the mold.

If there are mold mites in your home, you can remove them easily by eliminating their food source—molds. Without these fungi, mold mites can’t survive and will consequently die of hunger sooner than later.

2. Scrub the mold-infested area.

After locating the mold, look for its source of nourishment. This is likely a dark and damp corner in a room. Prepare a solution composed of one gallon of water mixed with 4 cups vinegar and use this to scrub the affected area. Any remaining mold spores should eventually die after you have finished scrubbing.

An alternative is a homemade solution of 2 cups bleach and 1 liter of water. This mixture should be placed inside a pressurized sprayer. When used, you should first allow the mixture to sit on the surface for about 15 to 20 minutes. Afterwards, remove the mold by wiping the surface using a sponge or a piece of cloth. Repeat the process two to three more times.

3. Contact a professional.

While DIY methods for mold mite removal are worth trying, they are only effective in small rooms or corners. The same result should not be expected when the affected area covers more than three feet. It’s also not wise to consider a DIY job if you have asthma or allergies because you’ll just expose yourself to unwanted attacks. The best option in this case is to get the services of certified mold mitigation specialists. The best option in this case is to get the services of certified Commercial Water Damage specialists.

Key Takeaway

Mold mites may just be as dangerous as mold growth, but there are a few things that you can do to remove them from your home and prevent a possible infestation. In this regard, the DIY way of eliminating molds and mold mites is preferred by many because  it’s simple, easy to follow and can sometimes work, especially when done correctly. For best results, however, It is always best to consider hiring professional and reputable companies that specialize in mold removal and mitigation. Since molds are often the result of water damage, considering a company that offers water damage restoration services should also be a good idea.