How To Care For Your Finger And Toe Nails
Healthy nails look and feels smooth, even and is void of discoloration. We all want beautiful nails hence we indulge in nail fashion such as nail polish, acrylic nails, nail art etc. In our quest to make our fingernails look beautiful and dashing, we may be causing harm to our cuticles, nail plate and stimulating a reduction in the strength and texture of our nails. Some nail fashion tools and chemicals are capable of causing damages to our nails, nail polish and nail removers have drying components that suck up the moisture from out nails. Nail fashion can be done in a careful and safe way with minimal damages to the nails. Safe nail fashion requires proper care and maintenance of the fingernail. Therefore, it is important to know the dos and don’ts of nail fashion and maintenance of healthy nails. In case of fungal infections, you will need best toenail fungus treatment.
NAIL CARE: DOS
- Wear water resistant or vinyl gloves while cleaning, dealing with chemicals or washing dishes.
- Do not expose your nails to harsh or extreme weather conditions, wear gloves to protect the nails from harsh weather.
- Utilize sharp manicuretools, scissors or clippers shout be sharp and clean.
- Use hand lotions and moisturizers on a daily basis, you can also apply nail hardeners as a protective layer to improve nail strength or hardness.
- Biotin is a nail supplement that can be used to strengthen and recover weak and brittle nails.
- Use an acetone-free remover to remove grime from your nails, know that acetone has a drying effect on the nails.
- Be consistent with your nail trimming and filing.Keep them short to minimize breaking or splitting and prevent dirt from accumulating under the nails.
- Always keep a nail file handy, use a glass or crystal nail file as it is nail friendly, even for damaged and brittle nails.
- Keep your manicure tools perfectly clean, take care of them as you would clean your makeup or hair tools.
- Protect your cuticles.
- Apply nail oils or Lanolin on your fingernails to moisturize the nails.
NAIL CARE: DONT’S
Don’t end up getting nail fungus. Lot of people wonder, is toenail fungus contagious?
- Avoid prolonged contact of your nails with water. Immersion of the fingers in water for a long period of time is not advisable because the fingernails are water absorbent and become soft when in water for too long and may result in breakage.
- Do not pick at your cuticles as it can results in you getting little cuts on the skin that can make it prone to bacterial or fungal infection.
- Do not forcefully pull-out hangnails, instead use a nail clipper. Ripping it off can leave a cut or tear in the tissues on your skin.
- Limit your usage of acetone or nail polish remover. Opt for a nail polish remover that does not contain acetone or similar components.
- Do not insert metal tools beneath the nails to remove dirt. The tools may go deeper and leave a tear in the tissues underneath the nails or result in the nail plate separating from the skin.
- Nail art such as acrylic nails should not be done too often.