Chicago teams compete as inaugural Minor League Cricket Championship continues
The most extensive competition in American cricket history launched nationwide on July 31, with more than 200 games set to take place in 21 cities. The Toyota Minor League Cricket Championship presented by SLING TV will feature ten weekends of competitive play in the Twenty20 format loved by cricket fans around the world, culminating in a finals weekend on Oct. 2-3. Twenty-seven teams will compete for $250,000 in prize money, the largest purse in American cricket.
WHEN & WHERE: Twenty-seven participating teams will compete for the championship across four geographic divisions – Eastern, Central, Southern and Western – with over 200 games set to take place in 21 cities nationwide, including the below upcoming schedule:
- Saturday, September 11: Game at Skokie Sports Park – 2 p.m.
- Saturday, September 18: Games at Skokie Sports Park – 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
- The Chicago Blasters and Chicago Catchers will also play over the next month in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, St. Louis, and Detroit.The full schedule and list of all competing 27 teams and their divisional breakdown is available at milc.majorleaguecricket.com.
PLAYERS: Each team features two marquee players, often with international-level pedigrees playing overseas. Teams also roster multiple young American players to develop the next generation of homegrown stars.
FREE TO ATTEND! All matches are free to attend for spectators, as Minor League Cricket looks to give the community an opportunity to get a taste of the second largest sport in the world!
BROADCAST: More than 100 matches will be streamed live via the Willow.TV platform on YouTube. Enhanced coverage at eight venues will feature multi-camera coverage and live announcers for multiple matches across the 10 weekends of championship play.
- Cricket’s global footprint: 2.5 billion followers, second largest sport in the world
- 20 million cricket fans in the U.S.
- 200,000 players among more than 400 local leagues
- Minor League Cricket is the foundational component of cricket in the U.S., with 21 cities, 27 teams, 200+ matches, 400+ players
- USA Cricket is the national governing body in the U.S. Major League Cricket is the new professional T20 cricket league. Minor League Cricket is the pipeline to the major league, with strong local support.
ABOUT MINOR LEAGUE CRICKET
Minor League Cricket is a national Twenty20 cricket competition for 27 city-based teams from across the United States, launching this summer. More than 200 games will take in 21 cities, featuring more than 400 players. Minor League Cricket will provide a foundational structure for cricket in the United States, providing a pathway to Major League Cricket and the United States National Team for the nation’s best players. For more information, visit milc.majorleaguecricket.com.